Monday, June 25, 2012

Paradise Found....after Being Lost!

I just returned from yet another Wine Tasting trip to Temecula, CA.  The weather was picture perfect with a wonderful afternoon breeze. I decided to take the advice of a few Regal Wine Club members and visit the Chapin Family Vineyards.

 Armed with a wine tasting map and a craving for some magnificent wine, I jumped into my car and headed up the hill. I ventured off the main road and started my "Syrah Safari". I'm much better at navigating my way through a wine cellar than I am at offroading the vineyards. I soon found myself lost among the wind swept vines. I didn't panic and just kept studying my map like an ancient explorer. Finally I caught a glimpse of a beautiful sight...Palms trees swaying in the breeze. My first thought was...Is this just a mirage? Are my eyes deceiving me? My eyes soon focused on the most glorious sight, it was indeed the Chapin Family Vineyards Tasting room. I quickly pulled into the parking lot and walked in the the tasting room and I was immediately transported to what I like to call Polynesian paradise. The palms and  open space reminded me of being in Hawaii! The friendliness of the staff continued to remind me of paradise. I decided to take advantage of the offer of a full flight tasting.

 Up first was the Passerina, a wonderful crisp white wine perfect for quenching the thirst of an explorer like myself. The delicate flavors of wildflowers, apricots, and peaches made me soon realize that this wine was as beautiful as the winery that produced it! I could hardly wait to try the next wine. The beautiful red liquid was soon being poured into my glass. I took time to inhale the fruity aromas of the Montepulciano. Before I even sipped it I knew this wine was going to be more than fruity and after tasting it I was blown away by the deep, complex flavors of tobacco, chocolate, and oak. Next up was a Wonderful Cabernet Sauvignon followed by an equally magnificent Syrah. When I thought it could not get any better, I was served the most incredible Merlot I can remember. (I'm not usually a big fan of Merlot, but this Chapin Merlot would have Miles from "Sideways" purchasing a case for his Cellar!) Next up to the table was a Ruby Red Sparkling wine called "Vernaccia Nera". At first taste, a refreshing sparkling wine however after another sip I began to quickly realize that this wine was no simple sparkling wine. The jam flavors and big flavors reminded me more of a complex big Red. Last but certainly not least came the final pour...A late harvest zinfandel. I carefully watched as it was poured and I could see the caramel and brilliant Red colors being mixed like an artists palette. One sip and I was hooked. The flavors were amazing!


I am so happy I visited Chapin Family Vineyards. I highly recommend you visit this winery when you are in Temecula (or from anywhere in So. Cal, it's worth the drive!) The knowledgeable staff and the superb wine will have you returning again and again!

Chapin Family Vineyards is located at  36084 Summitville Street in Temecula.

Stop by and taste "Paradise" and don't forget to let them know you found them through the Regal Wine Club.

Stay tuned for my next post...I'm headed North to Santa Barbara...Until then Keep your corkscrew handy and a glass on the ready!


No comments:

Post a Comment